Anglesea

Regatta Boat Shed Honor Rollweb anglesea-1

Location:  Anglesea River, Anglesea

The Regatta Boat Shed/Anglesea Recreation & Sports Club housed on the east bank of the Anglesea River, was established in 1911. It is known locally for its association with the locally important annual Anglesea Regatta which originally commenced in 1887. The more formalised carnival commenced in 1910-11 and involved several events particularly rowing, with the main event being the Grand Challenge Cup – the head of the river rowing race – together with tennis golf, swimming and “beer-chewing” tournaments. This race involved representatives from the various houses of Anglesea,  Airey’s Inlet and Torquay. From 1910-11, the Anglesea Regatta has been an important annual community event at Anglesea over the Christmas holiday period and continues to the present day. Many of the original members of this club enlisted and served overseas in World War 1.

 


 

Pte Alfred John Evans Memorial web anglesea-3

Location: History House, 5a McMillan Street, Anglesea

On Sunday 7 October 2012, 10 year old Jessica Evans, representing the Evans family, planted a new memorial tree in the Anglesea Community Precinct to honour her relative, then a young Anglesea resident who gave his life for his country. Private Alfred John Evans died in battle on 4th July 1918 at Ville-sur-Ancre, Villers-Bretonneux , France.web anglesea-4

Source:

Anglsea & District Historical Society, Coastal Current, Summer 2012/13, Issue No. 97, page 4

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~angen/ADHSnewsletters/coastalcurrent97.pdf

 


 Anglesea RSL

web anglesea-2Location: Murray Street, RSL Club, Anglesea

The Anglesea Avenue of Honour that once grew along Murch Cres and Noble Street comprised of seventy two trees planted to commemorate the First World War. Planted in 1920, an electric company removed all but one tree because they were under electricity lines. The last surviving tree was removed by the Barrabool Shire Council after lobbying by a local environmental group who claimed the tree was not indigenous to the area

 

 

 


 Anglesea Avenue of Honour

The Anglesea Avenue of Honour that once grew along Murch Cres and Noble Street comprised of seventy two trees planted to commemorate the First World War. Planted in 1920, an electric company removed all but one tree because they were under electricity lines. The last surviving tree was removed by the Barrabool Shire Council after lobbying by a local environmental group who claimed the tree was not indigenous to the area.  

Source:

Information from L. Braden, Anglesea’s Avenue of Honour, historical notes, Anglesea and District Historical Society, December 2007 contained in Veterans Unit, Department of Planning and Community Development, 2011 War-related heritage in Victoria, Melbourne

Advertisements